Sharing is Sexy!

Friday, August 23, 2013

Drunken Noodles

I've never really been much for Thai food. In fact, I'm prettycomfortable saying that I don't like it. There's a Thai restaurant inMinneapolis that everyone goes gaga over. I don't see what's the big deal. Soit might sound weird when I say that when I saw this recipe pop up on my googlereader, I knew I had to make it. Elly's musings on her thoughts about Thai foodrang really true for me. She says “I’m not crazy about peanut sauces, I don’tlike cilantro, and I’m hesitant about coconut milk in savory food. And when youtake away those three things, that leaves you with … well, not Thai.” Except Itake that one step further – I also don’t like Thai Basil. So, when I read onto see that she really liked this recipe, I was in. 


Then, I read the ingredients. I had neverheard of Golden Mountain seasoning or Black soy sauce. I read how Elly had totrek across town to try to find them. Seeing as I’m pretty sure Elly lives inChicago, I thought I was doomed to try to find them in the St. Paul suburbs.Much to my surprise, I was able to find them both at the regular grocery storedown the street – granted, in bottles so large I’m fairly certain I now have alifetime supply.


This was really good. I wish it would havebeen even spicier, so I think I would use either more Sambol Oelek or chilesnext time. I also think I would’ve liked it with more crunchy veggies insteadof noodles for some different textures – more bean sprouts, baby corn cobs,thinly sliced cabbage, matchstick bamboo… maybe even some matchstick zucchini.My husband, who generally dislikes the Asian cuisines, ate this without needingto make an emergency McDonald’s run, which I take as a compliment.







Drunken Noodles
Adapted from EllySays Opa, from Bon Apetit
Serves 3-4


INGREDIENTS
8 oz flat ricenoodles
2 TBSP canolaoil
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 bell pepper, cut into strips
½ lb chicken thighs, cut into thin strips
1 TBSP fish sauce (I usedsoy instead)
2 TBSP black soy sauce
2 TBSP Golden Mountain seasoning
1 ½ TBSP Sambal Oelek
½ TBSP sugar
¼ cup spinach (I used instead of Thai basil
½ - 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
¼ cup sliced green onions


DIRECTIONS


Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain.


Meanwhile, heat oil in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat.Add garlic and saut

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy