Sharing is Sexy!

Friday, August 23, 2013

Sometimes the Simplest Things Make the Biggest Impact


Wow! What can I say about this Cream Cheese Danish?! It's been in the family for quite a while. Actually, my Mom got this recipe verbally from a woman she met at a family member's memorial service 15 years ago. As time has gone by, I've put my own little spin on this incredible and heavenly dessert item.


When my husband was a sales rep, I would make several for him to take to local businesses and doctors' offices. He almost always received a call back. I made one for my OBGYN while I was 8 months pregnant just to say "thanks for the excellent care". At my next appointment, the office staff and nurses referred to me as "The Danish Lady". I even had my Mom make one to give to the nurses that took care of me while I was in the hospital for the birth of my daughter. Needless to say, we have made this dish for many, many occasions. I mean, it's cream cheese mixed with sugar, what more can I say?!!!


And speaking of cream cheese, it is a total staple in my house. You will always find several blocks of it in my fridge. I never go without and I always buy Philadelphia brand cream cheese. Mom has always said never tell the family secrets, always have a clean pair of underwear in case you are ever in a wreck, and always, always buy Philadelphia cream cheese. With just a handful of ingredients to this dish, it's so easy to make a big impact when it's taken to any function.


The Cream Cheese Danish
Adapted by: Me


2 tubes crescent rolls*(I have found Pillsbury works best...I know, I seem like a brand name snob, but I'm telling you, it's worth it)
2 (8oz.) packages of cream cheese, softened
1 C. sugar
1/2 tsp. almond extract


For topping:
5 T. butter, softened
1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon


Grease a 9x13 pan. Take one tube of crescent roll dough and roll out so it covers entire bottom of pan. Blend the cream cheese, sugar and extract until smooth. Take cream cheese mixture and spread on top of the crescent roll dough. Take the 2nd tube of dough and cover the top of the cream cheese mixture. Then combine the softened butter, sugar and cinnamon and crumble (or spread, depending on consistency of your butter mixture) on top.


Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.


Cool before cutting.


*I love that Pillsbury now has the Seamless Dough Sheets. It's the crescent roll dough only without the perforations. I love them!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy